So, when you adopt a baby in this country, often there's not a lot of advance notice that your little bambino is headed your way. And even assuming you learn you have been matched before the due date, you may not want to buy a lot of baby gear until your little one is a little bit more yours. Domestic adoption is as they say risky. Birthmothers change their minds, as they should if they have a change of heart. The bottom line for me was that I bought the essentials only until we got home. And so when my tiny infant and I got home, we had not a lot. No crib, no stroller, no swing, no bouncy seat, no bassinet, you get the picture. I couldn't wait to get a stroller, because with it, comes a lot of mobility.
After much of research, I ordered a travel system online at Amazon. I got the Chicco Cortina travel system in Fuego (translation- eye-popping red!) I love this system, and you should get one if you can. This system includes a car seat, a car seat base, and a folding stroller. The car seat base goes in the back seat of your car, rear facing of course, using the latch system, and it stays there, with the car seat snapping in and out of it. You can really tighten the base so it is rock solid, which is what you want. I have a new car, with new leather seats, so I got a pad to go under the car seat to prevent gouging to the seat. Eddie Bauer makes one that is perfect, and you can find it at Target. The Chicco Key Fit 30 car seat itself is really terrific. I had a Graco car seat that I picked up at Walmart for our trip home. The Graco car seat was perfectly fine, but I like the Chicco one better. Why? Honestly, part of it is style. The Chicco seat just looks a lot nicer. But I also like the fact that the Key Fit was the top car seat on Consumer Reports when I checked. It also has a great mechanism for tightening the straps -- a little button on the front bottom of the seat lets you tighten easily and precisely. I love that. The system also comes with a Cortina stroller, which is tremendous. First, the folding mechanism is really easy to operate. It takes about 5 practice runs to get your folding groove on, but then it is really so easy. And that is what you want when you are juggling a newborn. (For the record, I would never juggle a newborn). Second, the car seat snaps into place into the stroller very naturally, and off you go. It also comes out of the stroller very easily, and goes right into the base in the car. And off you go.
This is a great product, and it is making our life sweeter. There are some deals to be had, if you aren't picky about the pattern. Some are cheaper than others. Also, buybuybaby carries these, and at least at my store, you can use the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon. I was so sad they don't carry red, and that I was so committed to red, but then again, my little baby looks great in this red car seat and stroller!
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment